Acceptable Use of Technology and the Internet Agreement
for Arlington Public School Staff
The Technology Mission of the Arlington Public School system is to ensure access to appropriate technology in our educational community to support and enhance student learning, staff instruction, school communication, and data management.
The APS fulfills this mission by offering an institutional network for staff and students that promotes educational excellence by facilitating resource sharing, innovation, and communication. In order to make these resources available to everyone, we expect that students and staff using district equipment will do so in a responsible way consistent with our educational goals.
We expect Arlington staff to abide by the following rules per the APS district Acceptable Use Policy at www.arlington.k12.ma.us/asc/policies/ijndb-1.pdf:
- Do not share or give out personal information about or belonging to other people such as addresses, telephone numbers, passwords, or credit card information. Be careful when giving out your own information online.
- Do not store, download, distribute and/or transfer files of confidential student information. All such information should remain on the secure APS Network.
- Follow the copyright rules for the distribution and use of software and information both on the APS Network and Internet.
- Do not transmit obscene or threatening material through the APS Network.
- Do not use the APS Network for commercial purposes, including offering, providing or purchasing products or services and conducting political action through the APS Network.
- Do not misuse or disrupt the APS computer system, destroy data, or breach the security of the district network in any way.
- Do not waste the schools technology resources by among other things, sending mass mailings, chain letters, downloading large files, excessive printing, or spending excessive amounts of time on the Internet or otherwise creating unnecessary network traffic. "Excessive amounts of time" refers to time that interferes with a staff member's official duties and responsibilities.
- Release the APS from liability or damages that may result from use of the computer system and/or the Internet connection.
- Inform Tech services in a timely manner when equipment is damaged and in need of repair.
Please remember to assume no personal privacy when using the district's email system or computer equipment. The district maintains the ability to monitor computer, web, and email usage and may do so either during routine maintenance or when requested to by an investigating authority. All email is considered public record.